Why You’re Taking “The Basics”: Plant Sterols, Cod Liver Oil, Taurine and Lecithin
You’re reading this likely because something isn’t working well with your digestion. Maybe you have bloating after eating, abdominal pain, or believe you have a candida problem. Ultimately you just want to feel better. If you’d like to know why taking “the basics” will kick-start your health, maximize your nutrient intake, supercharge your immune system and ramp up your digestive system – then you’ll want to read this:
First off, it’s important to understand this idea: you truly are what you eat. Those french fries, that pizza, that salad, the green tea you drank? That’s the stuff that makes up your cells. It’s the only stuff, in fact.
So that means the health of your cells – and therefore, the health of your whole body – results directly from the kind of food you eat – and from how well your digestion is working.
Now bear with me as I discuss a critical detail about digestion. Bile is a digestive fluid produced by the liver and stored in the gall bladder. It’s the key player in breaking down fats. If you have weak bile, or scanty bile, your digestion’s going to be like 5 o’clock traffic in downtown Denver before a Rockies game. In other words: gridlock.
Here’s the problem: because of our modern diet, we don’t eat the nutrients we need to make excellent bile. And because we’re not making excellent bile, we’re not actually breaking down the food we eat. That means we’re not accessing its nutrients.
So even if you’re eating like a superstar – everything organic, free-range, tons of veggies and nourishing proteins – you’re not actually gaining maximum benefit from it. Even that multi-vitamin you remember to take once in a while because you’ve heard you’re supposed to? Bad news: even that might not be getting digested.
Here’s another problem: when you eat a standard American diet (which most of us do) of refined grains, fast food and the like, gallstones build up in your liver and block some of its bile ducts. So now you’ve got weak, scanty bile that’s getting clogged up in the liver’s channels. It’s like a buildup of hair in the bathroom drain.
It’s a grim picture, isn’t it? But don’t worry – At Reddy Natural Medicine, we’ve found a solution to this digestive gridlock. We’ve identified the four key nutritional supplements that create strong, healthy, abundant bile. Those are the Basics – Plant Sterols, Cod Liver Oil, Taurine and Lecithin. We start every single one of our patients on them as a foundational regimen, and often we see dramatic results from those supplements alone.
Why? Simple. Now that you’re replacing the nutrients you need to make good bile, you can actually digest your food more fully and gain way more nutritional benefit from it. Another bonus is that this new powerful current of bile busts through the gallstones collecting in the ducts, like a strong river breaking down a dam.
After taking the Basics daily for a few weeks or months, patients often experience transformations in their heath. Some of the reports I hear most often include:
- better digestion – less bloating, less nausea, and less constipation and diarrhea
- clearer skin
- improved mood
- reduction or elimination of allergic reactions
- less sickness (did you know your immune system is located around your gut? Makes sense that if your digestion’s running more smoothly, your ability to fight illness will improve)
- reduced menstrual symptoms
- fewer headaches (the Basics can work wonders for migraines)
…all from taking four simple supplements that kick-start your bile production.
Curious to learn more details about how each of the supplements works? Read on.
- Taurine – Taurine, an amino acid, is a key ingredient in the formation of bile. It is found in high amounts in raw eggs, raw milk, and raw meat. We don’t eat these foods raw typically, so we have a hard time making quality bile. The liver binds taurine to cholesterol to keep the cholesterol, which is a fat, dissolved in the bile. Without enough taurine, cholesterol will form stones which block bile flow and impede proper digestion and elimination. Taurine also plays a major role in stabilizing the heart beat and electrical activity of nerves.
- Phosphatidylcholine (PC) – PC is a major phospholipid that is essential for building cell membranes (remember you have around 100 trillion cells!), which act like the “bouncers” of the cell, ensuring only the good stuff enters and keeping the nasty stuff out. Phospholipids also support brain function.
- Cod Liver Oil – It is widely accepted that we need the essential omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil. While there are many sources of these important fats, cod liver oil provides something that other fish oils do not. It provides Vitamin A and Vitamin D. These are two very important vitamins that are not easy to get in the diet. Roles these vitamins play are extensive and include skin health, and immune system support. Kids especially need Vitamin A, so start them early.
- Plant sterols – Sterols are types of lipids (fats) that are used to make healthy cell membranes. One type of sterol that we are all familiar with is cholesterol. Cholesterol is made by the liver and is the starting building block for many of our hormones like cortisol, estrogen and testosterone. Sterols are found in grains, but most of the grains we eat actually have them removed (keeping them in makes the grains go rancid faster, and manufacturers are aiming for a longer shelf life.) Fortunately we can rectify this problem with supplementation, although there are not a lot of products on the market. The product I recommend is called Foresterol, made by Designs for Health. Foresterol provides the most complete, highest quality, plant sterol combination available.
The bottom line is that our bodies require many nutrients that simply aren’t available to us anymore because of how we’ve altered our food and dietary choices we’ve made. By supplementing these missing pieces we ensure that the body has what it needs to make healthy cells. It is with these healthy cells that we can restore balance to our physiology and ultimately heal.
Tried them already? What have your experiences been using the “Basics?” Please share your response in the comment section below.
I am a available for distance consultations via Zoom. Instructions and parameters for these consultations can be found HERE.
Why the Candida Diet Doesn’t Work.